Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Daughter Finds Out!

Luck is ally to the brave.  I’ve quoted that line several times.  I believe it with my heart and soul.  It’s true for me.  Why can’t it be true for you?  You can also translate it to say ‘you make your luck’.  How you do it is up to you and the circumstances surrounding you.  But you’ve got to invest energy into the process.  Nothing ventured nothing gained, you don’t win 100% of the bets you don’t place.  There are more axioms.  That’s plenty for now.
We were counting the successes in Nikki’s transition.  Are you ready for number four?  I know, I shouldn’t reveal the ending before the reader gets to the end.  I’ve written eight books and counting.  I think I can take a respite from prosaic convention for a moment.
Fast forward a year from when I told my mother.  Much has transpired in my life since then.  I’ve begun hormones and I’ve placed a marker in the calendar for going full time.  I know, I’ve said “there’s a lot of air between here and there” and there is.  But if you don’t plan (sound familiar) you don’t reach the goal unless your goal is not to plan and to place fate in the hands of chance.
So if I’m going to make hay I’m going to have to cross a chasm and begin to reveal to more family members.  Calculating my daughter to be the toughest nut I decided to begin preparing to tell her.  By way of background she is in her twenties and a college graduate.  I postulated that she probably has experiences with our community through her college life and campus life as an intern for a campus ministry group. That intern experience and her background as a minor bible scholar worried me.  If she strictly interpreted the Good Book I might have a firestorm brewing.
I spoke with several people who have investigated biblical teachings and discovered a few areas of support for my situation.  Well this had to be done if I was going to get to the next stage so I bit the bullet and scheduled dinner with her.
I was nervous but I did use 24-hour deodorant so no worries there.  When she finally arrived at the restaurant, I had been there fifteen minutes pacing and trying to organize my thoughts into cohesive conversation, we hugged as usually do. 
She looked fresh as most twenty-somethings do.  At the table we made small talk.  I began with one of her favorite subjects, politics.  After chewing that over for a while I shifted discussion gears to Caitlyn Jenner hoping to use this as a barometer of whether to proceed; you know sort of like reconnaissance.  Her reaction was unexpectedly positive.  She believes everyone is made to be loved. There are no conditions on love.
At that point I almost cried.  She is excellent at reading me; sensing there was something I wanted to tell her.  I demurred until after dinner and in the parking lot in case she lost composure.
Cutting to the chase her acceptance was unconditional.  Next step is to have her meet Nikki over dinner.  That is scheduled for the upcoming Sunday.
Can you say Nikki – 4 Naysayers – 0?  I have every reason to continue to be hopeful.  My confidence tanks are filled.  Even if I have a setback I won’t be derailed.  I’m strong, I’m invincible because I am woman!!

Love and hugs, Nikki DiCaro

No comments:

Post a Comment