Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Can You Say Success is Spelled S E V E N ?!?!?

Friday last found me sitting across the table at a nearby upscale restaurant from a friend of 25 years.  He had reached out to me since we hadn’t talked for a few months.  When I saw his invitation to lunch the calm of standing outside as snowflakes fell softly coating the ground with a blanket of white settled over me.  I’m going to tell him; the time is right.  Nikki has momentum and will not be refused.  I’ve learned that very quickly.  And following my heart I decided that every number, not just “seven” is my lucky number.
Settling into the chair I looked across the table and we smiled.  I could feel genuine warmth.  After catching up on life and how quickly the children have grown we talked business.  Conversation finally made its way around to personal situations.
He explained he has a nephew who is gay and he was asked to explain the situation to the grandfather since his brother, the child’s father, didn’t have the emotional strength to talk through the matter with his father.  The way my friend explained how he gently encouraged his father, the boy’s grandfather that the boy was a gift and he should be accepted and loved comforted me.
“How’s that for being open minded?”  He asked and smiled.
“That works for me.  I admire how you handled it.  So about me, I’m transgender and transitioning.  I will be full time woman in the spring of 2016.”  I watched his body language as I disclosed.  He smiled and processed.
“What do you think?”  I asked.
“What’s there to think about?  There’s nothing wrong with it.  I’m happy for you.”  I relaxed and placed disclosure number seven in the win column.  I showed him pictures and he said, “I’m glad you showed me the pictures since the next time I see you again you will be Nikki.  I would not recognize you!”  He smiled.  I gave him my new email address as he had only an old account that I had closed.  He handed me his mobile phone and asked me to enter the information.  When I handed the device to him he said, “I’ll change the name so that Nikki comes up when you call.”
After lunch ended we walked out of the restaurant together and embraced as true friends do.  He told me it was my turn to contact him about getting together and to not let so much time pass before we do this again.  I promised.
Love and hugs, Nikki DiCaro

I add the following to ensure that I am not Polly Anna.  I am pushing the limits but doing so deliberately and slowly.

Life is fragile... life can also be cruel. There's no reason to be blinded by overly optimistic expectations. The other side of the fulcrum is that guarded optimism should not be overshadowed by failure to find your calling. I am saddened by every attack, every death, every negative statement. We must help each other and not be afraid to express who we are. If we do, we permit others to control our destiny. Unfortunately progress does have fall out.  Harken back to the settlers of the new frontier of the western United States – no progress without risk. I'll spare you all the fancy clichés. Be vigilant, be diligent but above all be yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment