Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Doing It Right - Part 3

“Was it difficult?”  You should be asking.  The answer is complex.  Yes, it’s difficult but on the difficulty scale of 1 - 10 this is a 2; disclosing to two former girlfriends.  Neither believed I could pass as a woman.  The picture left them wondering; maybe questioning their motives and how they missed that part me during the relationship.  The difficulty level may have been much higher for them.  I don’t have a reference point so objective measurement isn’t possible.
The “coming out” experience with these two women made the next disclosure easy.  Remember I encouraged harvesting the ripest fruit and savoring the sweet flavor.  Life is better when you can enjoy, bask in the glow of accomplishment.
The next person on my list was the little mother.  Instinct told me she was ready.  This disclosure would require a little more tact and subtlety.  A meal is a great way to grease the information skids.  I had a standing weekly dinner with my mother.  Having a cordial and supportive relationship turned out to be a good investment.  Over her favorite Chinese food we chatted about many things.  The segue was smooth and effortless.
I didn’t blurt it out.  I walked her slowly down the path leading to the door.  Before opening it to the real me, I cleared the dinner plates and served tea and a slice of her favorite pie.  You may think this is disingenuous.  In certain circumstances you may have been correct.  In this instance I’m not sure there was a smoother or clearer path.  As I removed the teabag from the steaming mug I opened up.
At first there was dead air.  Then she looked at me with sympathetic eyes.  Questions came haltingly at first but after the initial answers she wanted to see pictures.  Curiosity is a good thing, especially when I’m anxious to share.  She looked at the pictures and complimented me. She even let it slip that she never thought she would have a daughter.  There were references to my middle brother and how she thought he would have been a girl.
She made it clear she didn’t want to see me in the flesh.  The pictures were more than enough and she had to absorb (my word) this.  She wanted me to be happy.  And when I told her I’ve never been happier, with pearly whites glistening from ear to ear, she realized this to be a good thing.
In case you’re wondering, curiosity got the best of her, eventually asking me to come by the house to see her.  “When can I meet Nikki?” Was how she phrased it.  I was nervous to be seen in my real state.  But when I entered the house she greeted me with a hug and sized me up.  She was impressed and told me so.
If you’re keeping score it’s Nikki - 3, Naysayers – 0.  There’s more to follow in tomorrow’s revelation post.

Love and hugs, Nikki DiCaro

No comments:

Post a Comment