Monday, October 5, 2015

Doing It Right - Part 2

So you own the decision, right?  “Now what?”
The next step is to find, if they exist, low hanging fruit.
“So we’re becoming farmers?  I didn’t bring my boots.  Besides, I’m allergic to pesticides.”
Let’s not be narrow-minded.  Maybe you should go back and read the prior post.  I’m referring to the easier targets on your plan and timeline.  You need early successes to fuel your resolve.  It’s as simple as choosing the easiest chore first and building upon it.  If you tackle the toughest assignment first you’ll put yourself at an emotional deficit before you pull away from the platform. 
I started with two of my former lady friends.  They are friends but they do not approach the depth and breadth of friendships I have been blessed to have in my community of interest.  These were my practice sessions.  I could course correct from this point forward.  Certainly I was sacrificing something; the trust and confidence of these two ladies.  I realized I was putting them in a tough position, understand?  I had empathy for them as I considered how to phrase the delivery.
“Why did I tell them?  Did it matter in the scheme of things?”
I told them because they were friends and I am proud to say they are still friends, protecting my privacy after the disclosure.  I learned that I should be open and honest.  Obfuscation would do nothing for me except further complicate an already complex situation.  They both told me they appreciated and respected me for being honest and not keeping them in the dark.  Again they had little overall impact on my life, at least if they had decided to distance themselves from me.  So my sacrifice was calculated and planned.  Remember that word “plan”?  You’ll hear it often from your scribe.
I didn’t rush through the conversation but I didn’t beat around the bush.  The marvel of marvels occurred prior to my disclosure.  A sense of calm, not the eerie flavor that portends an omen, one that calmed whatever nerves I thought I would feel.  Once I told each of them, hours apart, I felt stronger; like I accomplished something important.  I had at least a toehold in my climb to the summit that was cloud covered looming above.
I digested the conversation, the reaction and the questions (some more obvious than others but three of the questions I’m sure you can successfully guess).  Then I thought about next steps.  I wanted to take time to enjoy the initial successes before taking on the next disclosure challenge.  This immediate next one would hit close to home.  Telling a parent can be as devastating as telling a spouse with whom you currently share the marital bed.  Both have the potential to become incendiary.  Both can upset your emotional balance.  So here I exercised more caution.  I practiced my delivery.  It had to be soft and conciliatory.  A proclamation or pronouncement would not help.
The next post will go into more detail about phase two of this multiple phase approach.  Suffice it to say I shared pictures of myself with each of the first two informed parties.  The first was incredulous.  “You could never pass, you’re too masculine. You’re going to make a fool of yourself.”  In this instance I had to have enough confidence to withstand the onslaught of doubt.  The picture conveyed assurances that words were incapable of delivering.
More tomorrow.

Love and hugs, Nikki DiCaro

No comments:

Post a Comment